Rowan College at Gloucester County

Frequently Asked Questions

​​​How do I contact my professor?

A professor's contact information is listed on the syllabus, which is distributed during the first session of class. 

Students also may visit the faculty/staff directory​ located on the website.

Whom do I contact if I am having a problem with a class?

First, students should speak to their professors about any problems in a class. If the professor does not provide help, students may contact the dean of that division.

Is assistance available on campus to help me deal with personal issues I may be experiencing?

Rowan College's Student Assistance Center (SAC), located on the second floor of the College Center building in Room 200, provides a variety of services, including walk-in consultations.

Where can I find information about on-campus activities?

The College's Student Life Department offers a wide selection of clubs and activities to meet the social and cultural needs of a diverse student population.

Where are the open computer labs located and when are the labs open?

Students may visit IT Services for computer lab locations and hours.

How do I register for a course?

Students with fewer than 18 credits need to meet with an advisor.

Students with more than 18 credits can register using Self Serv on the Rowan College Portal. Students should see an advisor for assistance.

Who is my advisor? 

This may be found on the Advisors page. 

Is tutoring help available if I am struggling with a class?

Free tutoring is available to all Rowan College students. For more information, students may visit the Tutoring Center.

What can I do if I need a class to graduate but it is not being offered?

Students should make an appointment with an advisor or see the division dean.

Are scholarships available to help pay for college?

A variety of scholarships are available to students through the Rowan College Foundation. A listing of scholarships and requirements appears on the Scholarship​ page.​​

  • Stay Connected