Information literacy, the ability to locate, evaluate and use information from a variety of sources, is one of the most important skills students will develop during their college experience. It ties into the following Rowan College Core Competencies as well.
Critical Thinking and Information Literacy: The ability to access, analyze, synthesize, evaluate and apply information from a variety of sources to make sound decisions.
Research Instruction Services
The RCGC Instructional Services Librarian is available to partner with teaching faculty to support student learning by:
- Visiting your class for single-session research instruction
- Assisting ENG101 classes with the Information Literacy Workbook assignment
- Providing workshops geared to understanding how to distinguish and evaluate various information sources
- Leading a student workshop on citing sources in MLA 8th edition style
- Embedding in your eLearning class to provide point-of-need service in a sustained (several weeks or all semester) way
- Creating online learning objects (a "toolkit") that can be placed in your eLearning course shell
- Designing Research Guides for your class, or for a particular topic or discipline
- Collaborating on the design of research assignments
Fill out the Request for Library Instruction form.
Contact: Jessica Hamilton, Reference & Instructional Services Librarian, at 415-2253 or email email@example.com.
The WebQuest Projects listed below are alternative assignments to the Information Literacy Workbook and will expose students to research using Web Catalogs (OPACs), online databases for periodical and newspaper articles, websites and even some print resources located in the Library. WebQuests are inquiry-oriented activities enabling students to analyze, criticize and assess the information they find. This website has been developed as part of the COM101 English Composition classes to teach information literacy skills and ultimately promote lifelong learning among students attending Rowan College.
Another Information Literacy Assignment is writing or revising an article for Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit. To view some sample projects from a COM101 class, click the Wikipedia Article Assignment link below:
Information Literacy Projects