The U.S. Department of Education randomly selects students nationwide for verification. This process requires students to document their financial circumstances and to ensure the information listed on the FAFSA is accurate. The RCGC Office of Financial Aid will verify the files of those students who are selected. Financial aid will not be awarded until this process is complete.
- Students selected for verification during the 2019-2020 aid year must provide verification documents from the 2017 tax year.
- Students who are selected for verification during the 2018-2019 aid year must provide verification documents from the 2016 tax year.
How it Works
For students selected for verification during the 2019-2020 academic year the College is pleased to announce our new automated verification solution called ProVerify powered by ProEducation Solutions. If your FAFSA application is selected for verification by the U.S Department of Education, you will receive an introductory email to your college-issued e-mail account.
Rowan College will use ProVerify to complete your federal verification process. Please do not submit any of your federal verification documents to the college. You must complete the verification process through ProVerify.
What Happens Next?
A custom school link will be included in the introductory communication inviting you to access the ProVerify system. You will need to do the following:
- Confirm your identity (authentication).
- Log in with your Rowan College portal password.
- Access your Documents and begin the verification process (this includes the completion of online forms).
Upon receipt of all required documents, the automated verification process will begin. Students will be notified via e-mail or text if there are any questions or if any additional documentation is required.
Once verification has been completed, please check your Rowan College portal for your award eligibility and to accept or decline your awards.
FOR students selected for verification during the 2018-2019 academic year:
- Students receive an email via their RCGC email address explaining they've been selected for verification and which documents they must submit to the Office of Financial Aid.
- Students must gather all of the required documentation and submit everything as one organized package to Financial Aid. This will become part of their file for the aid year.
- Students must monitor their progress by continually checking their RCGC Portal under the "Financial Aid Requirements" section and college email address.
- If required to make corrections or provide additional documentation, students must do so as soon as possible.
- Once the file has been verified, the Office of Financial Aid will package the student according to his/her eligibility.
Review Step 6 – Track Progress on the Federal Aid webpage for helpful hints on navigating this process
What is Verified
Required documentation for verification ranges from personal items (i.e. Social Security card) to financial statements (i.e. tax return transcripts). *Following are a few examples of what might be requested.
Verification Worksheet V1-V5
Tax return transcript
W2s (all jobs)
Social Security benefits statement
SNAP benefits statement
TANF benefits statement
WIC benefits statement
Child support benefits statement
Unemployment benefits statement
Value of rental properties
Social Security card(s)
Legal custody or guardianship court orders
Foster care or orphan/ward of court documentation
DD214 veteran paperwork
Selective Service registration
Proof of Citizenship
Alien Registration Number (ARN)
High school completion credential (i.e. diploma, transcript, GED score)
Statement of Educational Purpose
*This is not a complete list of documentation that might be requested. The Office of Financial Aid reserves the right to request information to make corrections or resolve discrepancies in student files.
How to Obtain Tax Return Transcripts
Students and their families have a few options available to them for requesting their tax return transcripts from the IRS for financial aid verification purposes. The first is to visit IRS.gov and select Get a Tax Transcript. The second option is to complete the Form 4506-T Request for Transcript of Tax Return and submit it to the IRS.
View Spanish or American Sign Language version.