What Is DACA?
On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that certain people who came to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal. They are also eligible for work authorization. Deferred action is a use of prosecutorial discretion to defer removal action against an individual for a certain period of time. Deferred action does not provide lawful status. NOTE: On November 20, 2014, the President made an announcement extending the period of DACA and work authorization from two years to three years (http://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/consideration-deferred-action-childhood-arrivals-daca).
You may request DACA if you:
Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.http://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/consideration-deferred-action-childhood-arrivals-daca
- Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
- Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
- Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
- Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
- Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012;
- Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
ADMISSIONS STEPS TO APPLY AS A DACA STUDENTTo apply to Rowan College at Gloucester County under the Deferred Action Plan, the following requirements must be completed:
- Complete a RCGC Admissions Application
- Submit an Official High School Transcript
- Copy of I-797 Notice of Action Form
- Copy of Employment Authorization Card
- Complete and Submit the Affidavit of Intent to Legalize Immigration Status Form