The Gloucester County Cultural & Heritage Commission was established in 1975 by the Board of Chosen Freeholders to act as the designated agency in Gloucester County to receive and administer the New Jersey State Council on the Arts Local Arts Program and the New Jersey Historical Commission Local History Program. These grants provide funding for small and emerging nonprofit organizations through the Commission's re-grant program for arts and history development.
The Gloucester County Cultural & Heritage Commission will become a strong advocate and resource in providing cultural and arts education, support for community-based cultural and artistic organizations and promoting values and benefits derived from cultural and artistic experience. The Commission will provide public access, educate and expose all segments of the population to the arts and cultural activities, and foster growth and enhancement of local arts programming.
Our Vision Is To
- Encourage and promote the appreciation of individual creativity and expression;
- Strive to provide opportunities for artists through services, programs and presentation of their work;
- Support art education and life-long learning through multigenerational participation in new non-traditional programs and settings;
- Advocate for the inclusion of the arts, cultural heritage and history as key components of downtown revitalization to enhance the economic vitality, place-making and quality of life for all citizens of the community;
- Cultivate visionary leadership, collaborations and community partnerships;
- Have a strong commitment to provide public access and inclusiveness to all segments of the population.
- Participation and appreciation for the Arts, Cultural & Heritage through education and life-long learning experiences.
- Access to the arts and cultural participation for people of all ages and abilities and backgrounds.
- Build and strengthen communities through arts partnerships to include economic development, place-making, education, health and social services.
- Provide Arts Project Support and General Operating Support Grants for nonprofit organizations through the New Jersey State Council on the Arts Local Arts Program.
- Technical Assistance to nonprofit arts/cultural organizations in:
- Board Development
- Grant Writing
- Fundraising, Marketing and Audience Development
- ADA Compliance Plans
- Long-Range Planning
- Program Development
- Artists Referral Services and Information Center
- Workshops and Programming
Offering a rich, cultural experience to all individuals is a priority of the Gloucester County Cultural & Heritage Commission. Accessibility to all people is encouraged by way of programming, workshops and other collaborative endeavors. Every organization receiving grant funds is expected to encourage and develop the participation of a broad cross section of citizens, including but not limited to, diverse ethnic populations, individuals with disabilities, older adults and women. Accessibility involves both the facilities used for programming, as well as the content of the programming activity or product.